With the current hardship, most families are experiencing in Nigeria due to the economic downturn, most parents will do anything to get their children on a scholarship program and most kids who are aware and interested in a scholarship program do not know where to go or where to source for information for Secondary school scholarships in Nigeria.
Being able to not pay school fees at the secondary school level is one burden most parents will be happy to go without, but most parents in Nigeria are not entitled to such benefits as their counterparts in some countries like; Canada, Sweden, Norway, and Germany.
Parents in Nigeria have to labor for months after months in other to pay the secondary school fees of their wards and at the end of the day, this leaves them broke and empty, with little or nothing to hold unto after such expenses are made. But then the question is, are there any available scholarships in Nigeria for Secondary School students this year? How do I qualify for such a Scholarship? And who are those sponsoring the Scholarships?. In this article, we will be providing you with a breakdown of some of these Scholarships available to children in Secondary Schools in Nigeria in 2023. Let’s start with;
List of Scholarships for Secondary School Students & How To Apply
SEOF Scholarship for Secondary, Undergraduate, and Postgraduate Nigerian Students 2023
This Scholarship is open to students beyond the Secondary School stage, but we will be focusing on those in Secondary School, for this Scholarship. Sir Emeka Offor Foundation scholarships are available to Secondary School Nigerian students. Also, the SEOF scholarship 2023 is offering scholarships to Nigerians, the scholarship is focused on supporting academically gifted but economically disadvantaged students. Nigerian students who are pursuing a Secondary School Education can apply for the scholarships on or before the deadline.
Level/study opened to the Scholarship
Secondary School Scholarship (Only open to JSS 1-2 and SS 1-2)
Any student who gets this scholarship will be entitled to a full tuition waiver, cost of books, and other expenses related to Secondary School Education.
- Students who are currently benefiting from other Scholarships are not allowed to apply.
- The applicant must be a Nigerian.
- The applicant must have gained admission into a Secondary School.
- Supporting Documents Needed
- Birth Certificate
- Transcript and Results.
- Letters from two referrers, one of which must be from the principal/Head Master of your last school and the other from a respectable member of your community.
Application forms are available at the SEOF office or you can get the application form from http://www.sireofforfoundation.org, completed forms can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NLNG (Nigeria LNG) Limited Post Primary Scholarship 2024/2023
This Scholarship is open to students who just finished primary school in Nigeria and are indigenes of Nigeria. The Scholarship is open up unti1 6th November 2023. For more information, you can check on the Nigeria NLG website.
Level/study opened to the Scholarship
Secondary School Scholarship
- Must be a basic 5 or 6 pupil
- Be a member of the NLNG host communities
- Not be a child of a staff that works for Nigeria NLG Limited.
Supporting Documents Needed
- Provide his or her Basic Five results
- He or she must provide an attestation letter signed and stamped by the Head Teacher of his/her school (The contact of the headteacher must also be included).
- Provide an indigene confirmation letter signed by the CDC chairman or Chief of his/her community.
- He/she must provide a letter of identification from his/her Local Government Council.
3) NNPC/SNEPCo National Cradle to Career Scholarship 2023
NNPC/SNEPCo National Cradle-to-Career (NC2C) program is designed to give top-quality education to bright but indigent youths just like the SEOF Scholarship. The Shell Nigeria Exploration and Production Company Limited (SNEPCo), operator of the Production shoring Contract (PSC) with the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and its other co-venturers; Total, Exxon mobile, and NAOC, hereby announce the test for a 6-year full board secondary school scholarship in selected secondary schools across Nigeria. Those selected from across the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, are enrolled in Premiere Academy, Abuja; Nigerian Tulip International College, Lagos; Top Faith International School, Kaduna; Lead Forte Gate International Secondary School Uyo; Edgewood College, Lagos; Saint Francis Catholic Secondary School, Lagos; and Grundtvig International Secondary School, Onitsha.
- The Pupil must be in their final class (Primary 6) of a public primary school in Nigeria.
- He/she must be resident within the same geopolitical region as their State of Origin.
- For a pupil to be selected, he or she must be an indigene of the State from which they were selected from.
- The pupil must be a Nigerian citizen and must have written the National Common Entrance Examination organized by NECO in 2022.
- Parents/guardians of pupils must sign a consent form confirming the authenticity of documentation provided during the accreditation exercise.
- The pupil will be required to be physically present at the location of the test at various test locations.
Supporting Documents Needed
- A letter of introduction from the primary school attended
- Two recent sized passport
- And a letter of identification from the Local Government Area of origin.
- Pupils are expected to be accompanied to their test centers by their parents/guardians.
- The next three candidates from each location will be awarded the scholarship.
- The test date is scheduled for Saturday 27th July 2023.
- For more clarification or information on the NNPC/SNEPCo Cradle to Career Scholarship Programme, please send an e-mail to SNEPCO-Social-Perfomance@shell.com or go to their website.
2023 Shell Nigeria Secondary School Scholarship Scheme
This particular Scholarship scheme is different from the Cradle-to-Career scholarship scheme run jointly with other ventures. This particular scheme is for host communities in Abia, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom, Edo, Delta, Imo, and Rivers states. Every year, an average of 2,600 post-primary scholarships are awarded in these seven states. This Secondary School Scholarship Scheme is to help students pay through school, as well as improve academic achievement in host communities. This scheme has come as a welcome relief for most parents and guardians, as thousands of families look forward to this golden opportunity, due to its popular nature. For more information about the shell scholarship, individuals can check https://www.shell.com.ng.
Other Scholarship Opportunities for Secondary School Students are as follows:
- Cowbellpedia Secondary School Mathematics TV Quiz Show Scholarship Scheme
- NNPC/Chevron JV National University Scholarship Awards
- MTN Foundation Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Nigerian Women Association of Georgia (NWAG) Scholarship Program
- Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)/Total National Merit Scholarship Scheme
- Shell Nigeria Secondary School Scholarship Scheme
- Agbami Scholarship for Nigerian Undergraduate Students
- Nigerian Agip Oil Company (NAOC) Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme
- Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) Scholarship for Nigerian Students
- Jim Ovia Scholarship for Nigerian Undergraduates
- PTDF Scholarship Scheme for Undergraduate, Masters and PhD Students in Nigeria
- Federal Government Scholarship Awards for Nigerian Students
- David Oyedepo Foundation Scholarships for African Students
- Commonwealth Scholarships for Nigerian Students
- Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship Awards for Nigerian Students
- Lagos State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) Scholarship Scheme
- Ekiti State Scholarship Board Undergraduate and Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
- Sokoto State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Kaduna State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Kano State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Ogun State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Osun State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Delta State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Bayelsa State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Ebonyi State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Enugu State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Kwara State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Benue State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students
- Cross River State Government Scholarship Scheme for Nigerian Students.
Note that some of these scholarships may only be available to students from specific states, institutions or academic disciplines. It is important to read the eligibility criteria carefully before applying.
These are other Scholarships opportunities for pupils in Secondary School Education, Parents and guardians in Nigeria would be delighted to have the burden of paying school fees lifted off them at any stage of their ward’s life, especially during the Secondary School and University levels.
Kindly leave your questions and opinion on the comment section and we shall respond as early as possible.