There is this misconception about scholarship, Scholarships aren’t necessarily for people seeking financial assistance but rather Scholarships are centered around education; and with the cost of achieving the best form of education, financial aid isn’t a bad idea. What I mean is – No help is ‘too much’ help. Hence, there isn’t and shouldn’t be any form side-eye directed at students studying in campuses on scholarships. Many questions have been asked as regards international scholarships for African students, we will be focusing on scholarships strictly for African students which many Nigerian students would be willing to tap from.
Scholarships from inception has done more good than you can ever imagine, it has assisted students in achieving their dreams effortlessly, attain levels of education that are generally or feasibly beyond their reach, broaden their minds and explore their creativity in their respective career line in some of the best learning environments.
In this post, we would briefly be mentioning international scholarship opportunities for African students. As a matter of fact, scholarship opportunities are educational incentives every student must be on the lookout for.
A scholarship by definition is simply an award (not a grant) of financial assistance for students to further their studies. It is a noteworthy point to understand that scholarships are awarded based upon various criteria. This criterion is usually in line with the purposes or values of the founder/sponsor/donor of the scholarship (for instance: Shell Annual scholarships are strictly meant for students studying engineering and nothing else. That is the purpose/value of Shell as an engineering based firm).
Scholarships also aren’t grants and the money is not in any way expected to be repaid (at least not in cash (although in some cases, the student may be required to work with the firm/donor after successful completion of the academic period). Scholarships are a big part of college financial aid in various countries all around the world. Apologies for the long intro; that just needed to be clarified so people fully understand the meaning and purpose of educational scholarships. With that said, let’s quickly check on the scholarship opportunities that are available to you as an African student.
Aside this list of international scholarships for African students, there are other scholarships sponsored by multinational companies in Nigeria which includes the PTDF Scholarship, NDDC Scholarship, Shell, Agip and a host of scholarships granted to Nigerian students by other giant corporations.
List of International Scholarship Opportunities for African Students
Scholarship to Study in Belgium
VLIR-UOS Awards Scholarships
Graduate scholarship to study in Belgium, for students in Africa to study in Belgium on a development-related master’s degree or training program is one of the international scholarship opportunities for African students
Wells Mountain Foundation Scholarships
International scholarships for African students from developing countries (including African nations) to gain funding for university at home and abroad.
Borlaug LEAP Fellowship Program
Agriculture related masters or PHD scholarships for USAID-assisted countries for African students.
Scholarship to Study Anywhere In The World
Aga Khan Foundation Scholarship Programme
This is another international scholarship opportunities for African students which gives you the opportunity of studying anywhere in the world. You can do your findings and see how real it is.
Commonwealth Distance Learning Scholarships
International scholarship within Commonwealth countries for African students to study a master’s degree from selected universities in the UK and worldwide by distance learning.
The Beit Trust Scholarships
International master’s degree and PhD scholarships for African students from Malawi, Zambia or Zimbabwe to
Africa London Nagasaki (ALN) Fund
This is for African scientists to get financial assistance in obtaining a master’s degree in an area related to health and disease control in Africa. Winners of this scholarship can choose to study in the Nagasaki University in Japan or London’s Institute of Tropical Medicine, the London School of the Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
Scholarship to study in Netherlands
Netherlands Fellowship Programme (NFP)
Scholarship for African students to study in the Netherlands for a master’s degree and PhD.
Scholarship to Study in Germany
DRD-DAAD Merit Scholarships
Scholarship for African students from Sub-Saharan African countries to study a development-related master’s or PhD program in Germany.
Scholarship to Study in the US
- MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program
- 7UP Harvard Business School Scholarship
Scholarships for Nigerian students to study MBA program at Harvard University’s business school (HBS).
Fulbright Foreign Student Program
International scholarships for artists, young professionals, and graduate students, to study in the US for a year or more.
Zawadi Africa Education Fund for Young African Women
This Scholarships here has a gender bias for female students from Uganda, Ghana, and Kenya to study in the US.
Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders
Scholarship to study in the US and gain business and leadership skills. For African students from students from sub-Saharan Africa.
Stanford Africa MBA Fellowship at Stanford University
Scholarships for Africans wishing to study at Stanford University’s Graduate School of Business on the MBA program.
Scholarship to study in the UK
Below are also some scholarship meant for African students to study in the UK
The Ibrahim Scholarship Programme
Scholarship for aspiring African leaders to study for a master’s degree in the UK at London Business School, SOAS or the University of Birmingham.
Lalji LSE PfAL Scholarship Programme
Scholarship for African students with leadership potential to study any Economics related course for masters’ degree at the London School of Economics (LSE).
IOE – Commonwealth Scholarships
Commonwealth scholarship for African students from Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda and Kenya to study a development-related master’s degree in the UK.
African Graduate scholarships at UCL
Scholarships for Africans to study in the UK at UCL (University College London) on a master’s degree program for Global Health.
Commonwealth Scholarships at SOAS
Commonwealth scholarship for African students from commonwealth countries to study at SOAS (London) on a development-related master’s degree.
Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme
Postgraduate scholarships for African students from the Ivory Coast and Mauritania to study in France. Students from Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya and Uganda to study in the UK at selected universities.
African Postgraduate Scholarships (Edinburgh Napier University)
Merit-based scholarship for Africans to gain partial funding to study in the UK at Edinburgh Napier University.
Southern African Scholarships (The University of Edinburgh)
Scholarship open to African students from the southern part of Africa to study at the University of Edinburgh (Scotland) on a masters’ or PhD program. Countries eligible include: South Africa, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Angola, Botswana, the Congo, and Lesotho.
Oppenheimer Fund Scholarships (Oxford University)
Scholarship for African students who have previously studied at any South African universities to study at Oxford University in the UK.
There are other scholarship opportunities open to African students you can do further research on.
- Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Fulbright Foreign Student Program
- Rhodes Scholarship
- Hubert H. Humphrey Fellowship Program
- Commonwealth Scholarships
- Gates Cambridge Scholarship
- African Union Scholarships
- Erasmus Mundus Scholarships
- Knight-Hennessy Scholars Program
- Aga Khan Foundation International Scholarship Program
- DAAD Scholarships for African Students
- Chevening Scholarships
- Canada-Africa Research Exchange Grants
- Harvard University Scholarships for International Students
- AIMS NEI Fellowship Program for Women in Climate Change Science
- OWSD PhD Fellowships for Women Scientists
- Australian Awards Scholarships
- Swiss Government Excellence Scholarships for Foreign Scholars and Artists
- China Government Scholarships
- Japanese Government Scholarships
- Korean Government Scholarships
- Netherlands Fellowship Program
- Finland Government Scholarships
- Belgium Government Scholarships
- Irish Aid Fellowships
- New Zealand Development Scholarships
- Czech Government Scholarships
- Slovak Government Scholarships
- Swedish Institute Study Scholarships
- Rotary Peace Fellowship
- Schwarzman Scholars Program
- UWC Scholarships for International Students
- World Bank Scholarships for Developing Countries
- Asian Development Bank-Japan Scholarship Program
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarships
- Erasmus+ Scholarship for African Students
- The Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Fellowship
- The Joint Japan World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program
- The Orange Knowledge Programme
- The Scottish Government Scholarship Scheme
- The Swedish Institute Scholarships for Global Professionals
- The United Nations University Scholarships
- The World Press Institute Fellowship Program
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarships
- The Wellcome Trust International Master’s Fellowships
- The World Health Organization Internship Program
- The Rotary Scholarships for Water and Sanitation Professionals
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships in South Africa
- The Australia Awards Africa Short Courses
- The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program for African Students
To get details about any one of these scholarships and the criteria and details involved, visit their sites via the Google search engine. You could also visit the website of the school you’re applying to check for any scholarship opportunities.
If there are any ones you know and would like to share as regards list of international scholarship opportunities for African students, kindly state them in the comment section below.
See you at the top!
study in the UK, Ireland or South Africa at a leading university.