The Austrian government has created a fully-funded scholarship for international students through OeAD-GmbH. This scholarship is hosted and financed by the Austrian universities and research institutions in Austria and the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria, respectively. It is opened to all undergraduates, graduates, postgraduates and PhD students or applicants. If you are seeking to do a study in Austria, then you will find the information provided in this article useful. If you are also in search of fully-funded scholarships, you will find this article useful as it will aid you in your search.
Below is the necessary information you would need before you proceed to apply for this scholarship:
Before we proceed to what is required for this scholarship program, you need to know if you are eligible for this. This scholarship program is for applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be descendants of forced laborer under the Nazi regime, regardless of the country of origin.
- If you don’t fall into the abovementioned category, you must come from countries or regions that suffered exceptionally from the Nazi regime.
- Applicants are expected not to have researched, studied or pursued academic work in Austria in the last six months.
- The age limit varies for each program. If you are a doctorate applicant, you are expected not to exceed the age of 40. Then, applicants for the Master’s program and below are expected not to exceed the age of 35.
Note that this scholarship program is only for international students. Austrian citizens are not allowed to apply for this program.
This scholarship program is a one-year research grant for undergraduates, graduates, postgraduates and PhD students. The duration of the study is for one to four months. The available areas of study for this program are:
- Natural sciences.
- Technical sciences
- Human medicine
- Health sciences.
- Agricultural sciences
- Social sciences
Applicants will benefit the following from this scholarship program:
- A monthly instalment of 1,050 EUR.
- OeAD scholarship holders are expected to have health insurance which is accepted by the Austrian government throughout their stay in Austria. Health insurance that ranges from 55-200 EUR will be provided to scholarship holders.
- Accommodation would be provided for the scholarship holders.
- If applicants are not from countries that are members of the European Union (EU), EFTA, EEA or OECD, the travel cost will be covered.
While applying for this program, applicants are required to provide the following documents:
- An application form from “Application for a scholarship of the Scholarship Foundation of the Republic of Austria”. It should be filled with all necessary information before submission.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- A project plan explaining in details your plans and completed preparatory work for the research stay in Austria.
- Two letters of recommendation from university lecturers.
- A scanned passport ( that shows the name and picture of the applicant)
- For the descendants of forced labourers during the Nazi regime: you need to provide the processing number or a photocopy of the letter of information from the Austrian Reconciliation, Peace and Cooperation Fund, or the German Foundation “Remembrance, Responsibility and Future”.
- A Confirmation that you have a Bachelor’s degree, Transcripts and certificates from your previous institution.
- A confirmation that proves your participation in a study programme.
- Confirmation of supervision by a supervisor at the chosen Austrian university, university of applied sciences or research institution.
Applicants are advised to note the following:
- These scholarships are awarded for research purposes at research institutions (e.g. Austrian Academy of Sciences, National Library, Universities and National Archive).
- Applications that were not completed will not be considered.
- The scholarship must be repaid in full if it was obtained falsely, or if an applicant obtained other grants available on www.grants.at that were offered the same period as this scholarship.
- The awarded scholarship is not renewable; it can only be awarded once per category.
- Even if all requirements are fulfilled, there is a possibility that an applicant won’t be awarded a scholarship. This is because all scholarships are based on competition.
The application form is available at www.scholarships.at. The application closes on the 1st of September, 2021.