The MEXT Japanese Scholarship 2023 – 2024, is a fully funded scholarship program by the Japanese Government. It is specifically created for international students. This scholarship program is available for applicants who want to obtain a Bachelor’s degree, a Master’s degree or PhD. It offers both long-term studies and short-term studies. If you desire to study in Japan, the information provided here will guide you.
This scholarship program is fully funded and applicants who will be awarded this scholarship will enjoy the following benefits:
- Fully covered tuition fee.
- Accommodation will be made available for awardees.
- Monthly allowance
- Travel expenses will be covered.
Before you apply, must be eligible to do so else application will not be considered. To know your eligibility status, check out the list below:
- Applicants must come from countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan.
- Japanese citizens are not permitted to apply.
- Applicants must have completed 12, 16 or 18 years of schooling respectively, depending on the level of program you are applying for (Bachelors, Masters or PhD).
- Applicants must not have any criminal record.
- Applicants must be 17-35 years of age.
What is required of an applicant depends on the institution he/she applied for. However, there are basic requirements for scholarship candidates, and they are listed below:
- Applicants must provide a valid passport.
- Applicants must provide detailed Curriculum vitae (CV). Though this is required from research students.
- Applicants must provide academic transcripts and certificates as prove that they completed the acclaimed level of education needed to proceed to whichever level of education the applicant is applying for.
- Applicants must provide recommendation letters from referees (preferably two from a lecturer and a former employer).
- Applicants who are PhD candidates are expected to provide letters from supervisors.
- Applicant’s documents is expected to be in English, if not a translated version of the documents should be made available.
- Applicant’s photographs
- Applicants who are research students are required to provide a study plan or statement of purpose written in English.
- Applicants who studied in institutes that taught with English would provide an English language proficiency document.
- Applicants who are research students are also required to provide academic thesis.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MEXT Japanese Government Scholarship Programme
You are required to apply through the website of the Japanese embassy of your country or visit the Japanese embassy in your country for guidelines and more information. All the courses that are studied in Japanese institute are available.
Below are guidelines to help you with your application:
Step 1 – If you do not know where the Japanese embassy is in your country visit www.mofa.go.jp and search for it, under your own region. You can also find the website to the Japanese embassy of your country in www.mofa.go.jp.
Step 2 – Once you are on the Japanese embassy website belonging to your country, you will find the MEXT scholarship under the “education/scholarship” tab. Click on MEXT scholarship and download the MEXT scholarship application form.
Step 3 – Before you start applying, you need to make sure that the required documents listed above are ready. Proceed to the Japanese Embassy in your country and submit the application form and the required documents.
NOTE: Application form must be completed. Failure to do so will make your application ineligible and your application won’t be considered.
- A scholarship examination will be carried out by the Japanese Embassy in your country to test your intellectual abilities. Applicants are expected to pass this examination to be able to qualify for immediate admission and award of the scholarship. You can find test samples which you can use to practice for the examination on www.studyinjapan.go.jp .
- Interviews will be conducted on applicants or candidates after the test. These interviews will be conducted and carried out at the Japanese embassy in your country.
- Once all these have been covered, the successful applicants or candidates will be contacted through their provided email address that they have been awarded the scholarship. In some countries, the names of awardees are short-listed on the embassy’s website.
These scholarships are fully funded, so any individual asking you to make a certain payment is a fraud and such person is not in any way linked to the organizers of the MEXT Japanese Scholarship. Applicants should note that there is no application fee attached. You can visit the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan on www.mofa.go.ja for more inquires on this scholarship program.