Lagos State Inland Revenue Service (LIRS) is one of Lagos State Government’s agencies founded in 2009 set up specifically for the purpose and duty of Tax monitoring and collection as well as other forms of revenue from registered organizations operating within Lagos state. So far, it is one of the most productive funding arm of Lagos state.
Due to the effectiveness and efficiency of the LIRS, the IGR (Internally Generated Revenue) has grown from 11billion from 2009 to over 35billion naira in 2021. This is over 100 % increase in revenue collection making Lagos state the richest state in Nigeria in terms of IGR.
In this post, I will be harping on the LIRS salary structure for fresh graduates with B.Sc. and HND qualifications as well as the job requirements for fresh applicants. This article is informative as it provides all necessary information you need to know about LIRS salary scale for graduate trainees.
The Lagos State Inland Revenue Service job recruitment is carried out via LIRS application portal after which screening and test/interview is done and if successful, you will be called upon and you will be required to provide the following documents;
- B.Sc. or HND certificate
- NYSC discharge certificate or exemption letter
- First School Leaving Certificate
- O’level certificate
- Medical test report
- Local government of origin document
Upon providing the above documents and completing of your application process, as a fresh graduate, you will be automatically placed on Level 8. This is a good level to start in any government agency especially the LIRS as it affords you the opportunity to climb up the ladder.
List of LIRS Services
The following are the services of the LIRS below, note that as soon as you join the team, you will be fixed into any of the departments and you are expected to carry out your role diligently;
- Personal Income Tax in respect of individuals resident in the State
- (a)Pay-As-You-Earn(PAYE) (b)Direct Taxation(Self-Assessment)
- Witholding Tax (Individuals Only)
- Capital Gains Tax (Individuals Only)
- Stamp Duties on instrument executed by individuals
- Poola Betting, Lotteries Gaming and Casino Taxes
- Road Taxes
- Business premises registration fee in respect of urban and rural areas which includes registration fees and per annum for the renewals as fixed by each state
- Development Levy (individuals only) not more than 100 per annum on all taxable individuals
- Naming of street registration fees in the State Capital
- Right of Occupancy fees on lands owned by the State Government in urban areas of the State
- Market Taxes and Levies where State finance is involved
- Land use Charge, where applicable
- Entertainment Tax, where applicable
- Environmental (Ecological) fee or levy
- Mining, milling and quarrying fee, where applicable
- Hotel, Restaurant or Event Centre Consumption Tax, where applicable
- Animal Trade Tax, where applicable
- Produce Sales Tax, where applicable
- Slaughter or Abattoir fees, where applicable
- Infrastructure Maintenance Charge or levy, where applicable
- Fire Service Charge
- Property Tax, where applicable
- Economic Development Levy, where applicable
- Social Services Contribution Levy, where applicable
- Signage and Mobile Advertisement, jointly collected by the State and Local Government
- Shops and Kiosks rates
- Tenement rates
- On and Off Liquor License fees
- Slaughter slab fees
- Marriage, birth and death registration fees
- Naming of street registration fees, excluding any street in the State Capital
- Right of Occupancy fees on lands in the rural areas, excluding those collectible by the Federal and State Governments.
- Markets taxes and levies excluding any market where State finance is involved
- Motor park levies
- Domestic animal license fees
- Bicycle, truck canoe wheelbarrow and cart fees, other than a mechanically propelled truck
- Cattle tax payable by cattle farmers only
- Merriment and road closure
- Radio and television license fees (other than radio and television transmitter)
- Vehicle radio license
- Wrong parking charges
- Public convenience, sewage and refuse disposal fees.
- Customary burial grounds permit fees
- Religious places establishment permit fees.
- Signboard and Advertisement permit fees.
- Wharf Landing Charge, where applicable
The LIRS is one of the best Lagos state government agencies to work in. Your role will determine what extra tool is required to help you perform to optimum level. To clinch a job with LIRS, you need to be qualified for the role you are applying for in order to stand a good chance of being employed.
LIRS Job Qualification
- One year compulsory NYSC experience
- Bachelors degree (Minimum of second class upper division)
- ICAN/ACCA professional qualification (Added advantage)
- Age requirements (22yrs to 30yrs)
Having given you all you need to know as regards LIRS job application process, now I will guide you through the salary range of staff at the Lagos State Inland Revenue Service.
LIRS Salary Structure for Fresh Graduates 2021
Lagos State Internal Revenue Service (LIRS) total pay for an entry level gross pay (before tax deduction) is N71,000 why your Net pay (after tax & other deductions) is 61,000
As a staff, you are entitled to 12,000 every 2nd week of the month, this is meant to cover for your transport allowance for tax driving that is for tax collection from due tax payers.
|Qualification||Starting Level||Monthly Salary Structure|
|Fresh Graduate||Level 8||N71,000 Net per month|
|HND||Level 8||N71,000 Net per month|
LIRS Salary Structure for Senior Tax Officers 2021
Senior tax officers in LIRS is 200k and above monthly.
Please note that aside your professional qualification which gives you an edge in the LIRS recruitment process, your input in the job is the driving force behind your promotion up the ladder. Since most government jobs are secure and payment guaranteed, as a job seeker or applicant, you are expected to be at your best to retain your job by doing the right thing at the right time and ensuring you meet expectation.
Succeeding in LIRS will also require you are in good terms with your direct supervisor/line heads as they have the power to minute on your performance. There are some of the factors that must be taken into cognizance when working with the LIRS.