What is Linguistics? Why do candidates go for Linguistics? is it the passion for the course or the intentional evasion of Mathematics and other calculation courses? what is the reason for the increase in the search for universities that offer Linguistics? The above questions are still lingering in the minds of many till date.
Truth be told, some students choose courses based on the JAMB approved subject combination requirements and information gotten from people as regards the schools that offer the course. Linguistics is selected in a bid to evade any subject that involves calculations. many student look for courses like Linguistics, Sociology, Law and some Arts related courses that do not require mathematics.
In this post, you will see the list of schools that offer Linguistics, the subject combinations, cut off mark as well as the entry requirements for the course.
Linguistics is a course offered in most tertiary institutions in Nigeria, It is a course under the faculty of Art managed by the Department of Linguistics. The importance attached to this post is immeasurable as students during their UTME registration, search for the list of universities offering Linguistics so as to make an informed decision on making a sensible choice based on their catchment area.
Aside checking for universities or polytechnics offering Linguistics as a course, you need to be sure of the correct O’Level and JAMB subject combination for studying Linguistics because in the past, candidates who have ignored this move were either forced to change their school or lost out on the admission for that academic session. So we candidly advice you take the following information in this post Seriously.
To study Linguistics in any of the under listed universities, candidates must meet the following basic entry requirements:
a) Must have obtained a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ level credits in the following subjects; Linguistics, Government or Linguistics and three or four other subjects in not more than 2 sittings.
b) Pass the cut off mark for the university or polytechnic of his or her choice. We advice you score a minimum of 250 and above as this gives you a greater chance of gaining admission to study Linguistics into your preferred choice of institution.
The above are the basic requirements from the list of Universities Offering Linguistics. Though other requirements will be communicated to you by the schools when you register for their post UTME admission forms.
List of Accredited Universities That Offer Linguistics In Nigeria
- Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba (AAUA)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD)
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada (UNIABUJA)
- Bayero University (BUK)
- Benue State University, Makurdi (BSU)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki (EBSU)
- Ekiti State University (EKSU)
- Eastern Palm University, Ogboko (EPU)
- Federal University, Ndufu Alike, Ikwo (AE-FUNAI)
- Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE)
- Fountain University, Osogbo (FUO)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University, Okada (IUO)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Kaduna State University (KASU)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- Usmanu Dan Fodio University (UDUSOK)
- Osun State University, Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Akwa (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
The above list is a mixture of private, state and federal universities currently offering Linguistics, this means candidates, Parents or Guardians can make a choice from the above. Most often, it is easier to study the choice of your course when you select a school that is within your Catchment area.
For example, candidates who is from Delta state and selects Linguistics in UNIBEN stands a greater chance of gaining admission to study the course than a candidate who hails from Lagos state or Sokoto state. Many students make the mistake of just selecting randomly without applying the Catchment area principle though this does not apply to Private Universities.
In summary, if you must select a state or Federal university, choose your state or school that falls within your catchment area for you to stand a huge chance of studying Linguistics or any course of your choice.
Hope the above is well understood? if you are still not clear as regards the list of schools or universities that offers Linguistics and their admission requirements, you can get back to us via our comment section below and we shall respond accordingly.