Mathematics as a subject is by far the most dreaded subject in Junior and Senior secondary schools in Nigeria. The reason many students fail to gain admission is because they have failed to pass mathematics especially. According to WAEC’s report, more than 50 percent of candidates fail mathematics as a subject in WAEC every year which is the major reason there are many resit candidates.
The category of students that dread mathematics as a course would find this post very interesting and beneficial. Most of us are used to seeing and hearing that to gain admission into any higher institution in Nigeria, your O’level requirements must be at complete, which is, five (5) credit passes which must include mathematics and English language. Many candidates have lost out on the admission for the session because they lack correct information as regards their selected courses as many are not aware that there are some courses that do not require Mathematics as a requirement for admission in our universities, polytechnics and colleges of education today.
Yes most courses actually require that a candidate obtain mathematics and English language as compulsory subjects in addition to three (3) other subjects as it relates to the course of study. You might be wondering how to find out the correct subject combination for your desired course, the link would list all JAMB and UTME subject combination for your course as this would help you in registering for the right subjects both in WAEC and NECO examination.
The beautiful thing about this courses that can be studied without mathematics is that whether a candidate sits for the course in WAEC or not does not really matter. Okay let us assume the candidate sits for the course and he or she obtains a D E OR F9 in Mathematics, such student is equally as eligible as other candidates that obtains an A B or C grades in mathematics.
It is quite pathetic that many candidates have lost out on admission because they lack this information, anyone who asks questions never get lost so we advice you go through this post thoroughly and share amongst friends in order to help those who never knew about courses that they can study in higher institutions that do not require Mathematics as an O’level requirement for admission.
You must be really eager to know these courses, and please note that some of these courses are professional and well respected courses offered in all states and federal universities, polytechnics and COEs.
In addition, we will be adding some courses that you can also study without a credit in English language and the respective universities that accept such special considerations as this would give candidates arrays of options to select from.
73 Courses You Can Study Without Mathematics in Nigeria
- Social studies
- Civil Law
- Adult Education
- Conflict and Peace Resolution
- Counselor Education
- Theatre/Performing Art
- Criminology and Security studies
- Education and Biology
- Education and Efik/Ibibio
- Education and Geography
- Education and Political Science
- Education and Social Studies
- Elementary Education
- Elementary Education
- English and Literary Studies
- English Language Education
- Environmental Education
- Geography – Under Social Science
- Geography and Environmental Management – Under Social Science
- Geography and Meteorology – Under Social Science
- Government and Public Administration
- Guidance and Counselling
- History and International Studies
- Home Economics and Education
- Hospitality and Tourism
- Hotel and Tourism Management – Under Social Science
- International Relations and Diplomacy
- Library and Information Science – Under Education
- Edo Language
- Yoruba Language
- Christian Theology
- Arabic Education
- Arabic Studies
- Local Government Administration
- Mass Communication
- Peace and Conflicts Resolution Studies
- Philosophy – Under Art
- Physical and Health Education
- Policy and Administrative Studies
- Policy and Strategic Studies
- Political and Administrative Studies
- Political Science
- Political Science / International Law and Diplomacy
- Political Science and Conflict Resolution
- Political Science and Defence Studies
- Political Science and Diplomacy
- International Relations
- International Studies and Diplomacy
- Political Science and Public Administration
- Public Administration
- Leisure and Tourism Management (Polytechnic)
- Art and Design (Polytechnic)
- Hospitality Management (Polytechnic)
- Library and Information Science (Universities and Polytechnic)
- Local Government Studies (Polytechnic)
- Mass Communication (Polytechnic)
- Social Development (Polytechnic)
- Pre-Primary and Primary Education
- Public Administration – Under Administration
- Religious Studies
- Secretarial Administration
- Secretarial Administration and Education
- Secretarial Education
- Social Justice
- Sociology – Under Art and Social Sciences
- Teacher Education
- Vocational and Technical Education
However, there are exceptions to the above, just as we iterated earlier on, most schools are similar in terms of the O’level admission requirements for most courses, there are some schools that may differ. Here some schools may accept a credit in mathematics but a D7 or E8 in English language. Take for example, the following schools and the respective courses below:
Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi – Agricultural Engineering Course
Federal University of Agriculture, Makurdi (FUAM) For example requires that a candidate seeking admission in their institution to study Agric Engineering must have obtained a minimum of five (5) credits passes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and any two of English Language, Biology or Agricultural Science, Technical Drawing, Geography and Economics and such candidates must have obtained at least a pass in (D7 or E8) English Language.
IMSU, ESUT DELSU and RSUST – Animal Nutrition Course
Candidates seeking admission into Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU), Enugu State University of Science and Technology, Enugu (ESUT), Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) & River State University of Science and Technology (RSUST) to study Animal Nutrition must have obtained at least a pass in English Language (D7 or E8) and of course at least a Credit in other relevant subjects as it relates to his or her course
IMSU, Madona Universitu, and ANSU – Computer Science
To study computer science at Madonna University, Okija, Anambra state university and Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU) a pass (D7 or E8) in English Language is accepted by these universities. This is peculiar to just these schools actually.
MAUTECH, OOU, DELSU – Education and Biology
These schools accept a D or and E in English language in order to study Education and Biology in their institution/
- While Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU) accepts a pass in English Language provided the candidate has a distinction in ‘O’ level Biology.
- Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola (MAUTECH) and Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU) accept a pass in (D7 or E8) English Language.
- Candidates who fall under Education Disadvantaged States (EDS) must have obtained a D or E in English Language or Mathematics for them to be granted admission to study Education and Biology in the above universities.
This is the most recent development as regards the list of courses that can be studied or offered without passing mathematics in WAEC or NECO, so for you all that failed mathematics as a subject either in your WAEC or NECO, this post would go a long way in ensuring you do not lose out on admission this academic session just because you failed mathematics or English language (in some courses).
Hope this is well understood? if you have any question as regards the 73 courses that you can study without Mathematics in any University, polytechnic or college of education, feel free to git us up via the comment section below and we shall respond accordingly.