The Primary 2 Mathematics Scheme of Work for all private and public primary schools in Nigeria is out. All schools operating in Nigeria are mandated to operate with the government approved scheme of work for primary schools according to the federal ministry of education as this brings about unison in the educational sector. However, some private schools are at the liberty to introduce some special forms of teaching known as the Montessori method. This method of teaching has is becoming more acceptable in Nigeria as the best learning model for pupils at their elementary stages because this gives them a better foundation at their primary school level.
The continuous rise in the search for mathematics scheme of work primary 2 first term, second term and third term has been brought to our notice and we thought it necessary to come up with a comprehensive document that can be downloaded for your personal use and kept for future references. This scheme of work is ideal for teachers and assistant teachers in private and public primary schools in Nigeria.
This post will educate all persons who are in the teaching field about the current government approved scheme of work for mathematics for students in primary 2 which covers all the topics meant for first term, second term and third term. It provides in non ambiguous terms, what is expected by the National Common Entrance Examination as a body in preparing these students for the next level which is primary 3 which finally would take them to secondary school level.
Ideally, the mathematics scheme of work primary 2 first term, is a continuation from the scheme of work for mathematics in Nursery school grade, this scheme of work otherwise known as curriculum has been systematically arranged for ease of progression and proper understanding for little children. There has to be a flow, that is, a continuation from the previous class in order for kids to better understand the subject.
To further emphasize the importance of the subject matter, the scheme of work is used as a checklist to ensure that all topics are treated within the prescribed period until the revision week and examination day. It covers the topics and time frame given for each topic and sub topic. It also ensures that the learning process, aims and objectives of the subject meant for that class are successfully accomplished.
Note that the scheme of work for mathematics for primary two class is the same for both private and public primary schools in Nigeria, that is, the scheme of work for a private primary school is the same with that of public or government owned primary school. It is the responsibility of head teachers in primary schools to ensure this scheme of work is actively made use of as mandated by the ministry of education. Any school found doing otherwise would face the penalty for going against this directive.
The importance of this subject cannot be overemphasized, this is one of the few subjects that are offered in elementary stages in primary schools up to secondary and higher institutions. Primary school Maths is a very interesting subject if well taught. Patience is a virtue that must be exercised by all teachers and assistant teachers when teaching these students because their level of assimilation is still slow hence any move to speed up the teaching process would affect the understanding of this subjects by the pupils. Remember they are kids and they need to be handled with utmost care and love.
This post carries weight because it provides in full, details about the current mathematics scheme of work for primary 2 first term, second term and third term and this includes the government approved scheme of work for all topics and sub-topics for primary school mathematics for primary 2 only. We have the complete scheme of work for primary schools in Nigeria however we decided it would be better to break it down subject by subject to avoid over clumsiness.
For those interested in how to register and start up a school in any state in Nigeria, it is important you go through the government approved guidelines for establishing private primary school as this would guide you through the process and give you first hand information on all requirements that must be put in place before your school can be approved or termed Government Approved.
Please note that the mathematics scheme or work for primary 2 (1st term, 2nd term and 3rd term) provided here are the currently government approved scheme of work applicable to all public and private primary and Montessori schools in Nigeria so you can trust the source of the information.
What You Stand To Gain From This Post
- The complete scheme of work for primary schools in Nigeria
- Mathematics scheme of work for primary 2 class for first term
- Mathematics scheme of work for primary 2 class for second term
- The government approved scheme of work for primary 2 mathematics third term
MATHEMATICS SCHEME OF WORK FOR PRIMARY 2 FOR 1ST TERM, 2ND TERM & 3RD TERM
|CURRICULUM THEME||SUB-THEME TOPIC(S)|
|1.||Number and Numeration||Whole number 1-200
|2.||Basic operation||Basic operation
|3.||Algebraic process||Open sentences
|4.||Mensuration and Geometry||Primary measurement
1.Three- Dimensional shapes
|5.||Every day statistics||Data collection and presentation.|
Primary 2 Mathematics Scheme of Work for First Term
- Counting identification and writing of numbers from 1-200
- Counting in groups of H T U (place value)
- Number order from 1-200
- Greater than > and less than <
- Odd and even numbers
- Fractions: meaning of fraction 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5,1/6, 1/8 etc.
- Addition and subtraction of fraction
- Addition of two digit numbers without carrying
- addition of two digit with carrying
- subtracting of two digit numbers without carrying
- subtracting of two digit numbers with carrying
Primary 2 Mathematics Scheme of Work for Second Term
- Addition of three digit number without carrying
- Multiplication of table 1-5 and uses of the symbol “x”
- Multiplication without and with carrying
- Division of numbers
- Word problem on division
- Factors:-finding factors of a number/open sentences
- Multiples and common multiples
- Money:-addition and subtraction of naira and kobo (b) changing naira to kobo and kobo to naira.
- Multiplication and division of money
Mathematics Scheme of Work for Primary 2 Third Term
- Measurement of length (non-standard/standard unit)
- Measurement, conversion of centimeter to meter and vice versa
- Measurement:-addition and subtraction of meters and centimeters
- Areas and perimeter of rectangle,square,triangles,circle and other surfaces
- Measurement,capacity(liter).Addition and subtraction of liter and word problem of liter
- Measurement of weight, kilograms,grams and activities
- Time and clock,half past,quarter past,quarter to,etc
- Days, Weeks,Months and years using the calendar
- (a) Two dimensional shapes,properties of a triangle,square etc (b)Three dimensional shapes
- collection of data/presentation
Hope this is properly understood? The primary 2 mathematics scheme of work for first term, second term and third term as seen above are the government approved scheme of work for private and public primary schools in Nigeria irrespective of the state the school is located. For those interested in teaching or setting up a school, this free document will go a long way in making your teaching adventure more interesting.
Do you have any questions as regards the government approved scheme of work for primary 2 mathematics for the full session? please feel free to reach out to us via the comment section below and we shall respond accordingly.
We have the hard-copy for the full scheme of work for all subjects offered in primary schools and secondary schools in Nigeria