Optometry O’level and UTME subjects combination is the same for all schools irrespective of the higher institution. For example, all universities, polytechnics, and colleges of education offering Optometry are mandated to make use of the same Subject Combo as a requirement for the above course.
Making use of the correct and approved O’level subject requirements plus JAMB subject combination for Optometry makes the admission process much easier for candidates seeking admission to Optometry in their various institutions.
Not many are aware that one of the major reasons for the increase in purchase of change of university and institution is because before embarking on the UTME, most candidates fail to confirm the correct O’level subjects required to study Optometry and thus making them go through the process of change of course or institution and sometimes both.
In this post today, we shall be giving candidates full details as regards the WAEC and NECO otherwise known as O’level subject’s combination and requirements for studying Optometry in our universities and polytechnics.
Optometry is a course for science inclined students in secondary schools and it is one of the most sought-after courses which students upon graduating from secondary school search for online. We will not just concentrate on the O’level subjects required to study, Optometry or the list of universities in Nigeria offering Optometry but also, the best schools to study this course. This is not to say that other schools offering Optometry are of lesser quality.
Upon completing this post, you ought to be clear about the followings:
- O’level Subjects for studying Optometry in any Nigerian University or polytechnic.
- Admission Requirements for studying Optometry.
- Whether you can combine WAEC and NECO results to Study Optometry (Yes you can though this also depends on the institution).
- Cut off Mark Optometry in any University or Polytechnic.
- List of Universities in Nigeria that offers Optometry.
O’LEVEL AND UTME APPROVED SUBJECTS COMBINATION FOR OPTOMETRY
Also, in the quest to study Optometry, most candidates look out for the best institution for studying Optometry as a course. Say for example; the universities listed below are not just known for studying Optometry but can be regarded as the best schools for this course.
O’LEVEL COMBINATION AND REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDYING OPTOMETRY
Studying Optometry as the case may present itself requires that candidate possess the following:
- Five (5) O’level credit passes to include English Language, Mathematics and at least three (3) of Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Additional/Further Mathematics.
Now let’s go through the O’level (NECO/WAEC) and JAMB approved subjects’ combination for studying Optometry before discussing about the cut off mark.
Direct Entry Requirement for Optometry:
- Two (2) A Level passes in Chemistry and any one of Biology, Zoology or Physics.
- ND distinction from a recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology in Science Laboratory Technology (SLT).
- HND distinction from a recognized Polytechnic or College of Technology in Polymer Chemistry and Science Laboratory Technology (SLT)
- NCE distinction in Chemistry from a recognized College of Education. In addition candidates should have credit.
UTME Subject combination for Optometry:
- English Language, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry or Biology.
CUT OFF MARK FOR OPTOMETRY
It is advised that prospective students score up to 200 minimum JAMB cut off mark and above to stand a chance of studying Optometry due to the competitive nature of the course. Though cut off mark may vary from school to school. Ideally, the 200 JAMB score is enough to see any candidate through so long as you pass your post UTME very well.
LIST OF UNIVERSITIES OFFERING OPTOMETRY
- ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY, UTURU, ABIA STATE – ABSU
- BAYERO UNIVERSITY, KANO, KANO STATE – BAYERO
- FEDERAL UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, OWERRI, IMO STATE – FUTO
- UNIVERSITY OF ILORIN, ILORIN, KWARA STATE – ILORIN
- MADONNA UNIVERSITY, ELELE, RIVERS STATE – MADONNA
- UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, EDO STATE – UNIBEN.
Hope the above information is well understood? If you have any question as regards O’level subject’s requirements for studying Optometry and the JAMB approved subjects’ combination for Optometry as a course, kindly get back to us via our comment section below and we shall respond accordingly.