What is History? Why do candidates go for History? is it the passion for the course or the intentional evasion of Mathematics and other calculation courses? what is the reason for the increase in the search for universities that offer History? The above questions are still lingering in the minds of many till date.
Truth be told, some students choose courses based on the JAMB approved subject combination requirements and information gotten from people as regards the schools that offer the course. History is selected in a bid to evade any subject that involves calculations. many student look for courses like History, Sociology, Law and some Arts related courses that do not require mathematics.
In this post, you will see the list of schools that offer History, the subject combinations, cut off mark as well as the entry requirements for the course.
History is a course offered in most tertiary institutions in Nigeria, It is a course under the faculty of Art managed by the Department of History. The importance attached to this post is immeasurable as students during their UTME registration, search for the list of universities offering History so as to make an informed decision on making a sensible choice based on their catchment area.
Aside checking for universities or polytechnics offering History as a course, you need to be sure of the correct O’Level and JAMB subject combination for studying History because in the past, candidates who have ignored this move were either forced to change their school or lost out on the admission for that academic session. So we candidly advice you take the following information in this post Seriously.
To study History in any of the under listed universities, candidates must meet the following basic entry requirements:
a) Must have obtained a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ level credits in the following subjects; History, Government or History and three or four other subjects in not more than 2 sittings.
b) Pass the cut off mark for the university or polytechnic of his or her choice. We advice you score a minimum of 250 and above as this gives you a greater chance of gaining admission to study History into your preferred choice of institution.
The above are the basic requirements from the list of Universities Offering History. Though other requirements will be communicated to you by the schools when you register for their post UTME admission forms.
List of Accredited Universities That Offer History In Nigeria
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU)
- University of Abuja, Gwagwalada (UNIABUJA)
- Adamawa State University, Mubi (ADSU)
- Bayero University (BUK)
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- Benue State University, Makurdi (BSU)
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (COOU)
- Federal University, Lafia (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma (FUDMA)
- Federal University, Lokoja (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndufu Alike, Ikwo (AE-FUNAI)
- Gombe State University (GSU)
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU)
- Kaduna State University (KASU)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Legacy University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Yusuf Maitama Sule University
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi (NSUK)
- Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Samuel Adegboyega University (SAU)
- Sokoto State University (SOSU)
- Usmanu Dan Fodio University (UDUSOK)
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Akwa (UNIZIK)
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- Yobe State University, Damaturu (YSU)
The above list is a mixture of private, state and federal universities currently offering History, this means candidates, Parents or Guardians can make a choice from the above. Most often, it is easier to study the choice of your course when you select a school that is within your Catchment area.
For example, candidates who is from Delta state and selects History in UNIBEN stands a greater chance of gaining admission to study the course than a candidate who hails from Lagos state or Sokoto state. Many students make the mistake of just selecting randomly without applying the Catchment area principle though this does not apply to Private Universities.
In summary, if you must select a state or Federal university, choose your state or school that falls within your catchment area for you to stand a huge chance of studying History or any course of your choice.
Hope the above is well understood? if you are still not clear as regards the list of schools or universities that offers History and their admission requirements, you can get back to us via our comment section below and we shall respond accordingly.