What is English Language? Why do candidates go for English Language? is it the passion for the course or the intentional evasion of Mathematics and other calculation courses? what is the reason for the increase in the search for universities that offer English Language? The above questions are still lingering in the minds of many till date.
Truth be told, some students choose courses based on the JAMB approved subject combination requirements and information gotten from people as regards the schools that offer the course. English Language is selected in a bid to evade any subject that involves calculations. many student look for courses like English Language, Sociology, Law and some Art related courses that do not require mathematics.
In this post, you will see the list of schools that offer English Language, the subject combinations, cut off mark as well as the entry requirements for the course.
English Language is a course offered in most tertiary institutions in Nigeria, It is a course under the faculty of Art managed by the Department of English Language. The importance attached to this post is immeasurable as students during their UTME registration, search for the list of universities offering English Language so as to make an informed decision on making a sensible choice based on their catchment area.
Aside checking for universities or polytechnics offering English Language as a course, you need to be sure of the correct O’Level and JAMB subject combination for studying English Language because in the past, candidates who have ignored this move were either forced to change their school or lost out on the admission for that academic session. So we candidly advice you take the following information in this post Seriously.
To study English Language in any of the under listed universities, candidates must meet the following basic entry requirements:
a) Must have obtained a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ level credits in the following subjects; English Language, Government or History and three or four other subjects in not more than 2 sittings.
b) Pass the cut off mark for the university or polytechnic of his or her choice. We advice you score a minimum of 250 and above as this gives you a greater chance of gaining admission to study English Language into your preferred choice of institution.
The above are the basic requirements from the list of Universities Offering English Language. Though other requirements will be communicated to you by the schools when you register for their post UTME admission forms.
List of Accredited Universities That Offer English Language In Nigeria
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (AAU)
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria (ABU)
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti (ABUAD)
- Adamawa State University, Mubi (ADSU)
- Admiralty University, Ibusa (ADUN)
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan (ACU)
- Al-Hikmah University, Illorin (AHU)
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina (AUK)
- Arthur Jarvis University, Akpoyubo
- Atiba University, Oyo
- Adeleke University, Ede (AUE)
- Augustine University, Ilara (AUI)
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo (BU)
- Bauchi State University, Gadau (BASUG)
- Bayero University (BUK)
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu (BU)
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City (BIU)
- Bornu State University, Maiduguri (BOSU)
- Bowen University, Iwo (BU)
- Benue State University, Makurdi (BSU)
- Caritas University (CU)
- Chrisland University, Owode
- Christopher University, Mowe (UNICHRIS)
- Clifford University, Owerrinta
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli (COOU)
- Covenant University, Ota (CU)
- Crownhill University, Eiyenkorin (CHU)
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin (EUI)
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo (ECU)
- Ekiti State University (EKSU)
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin (EUI)
- Evangel University, Akaeze (EVANGEL)
- Federal University, Dutse (FUD)
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma (FUDMA)
- Federal University Gashua (FUGASHUA)
- Federal University, Gusau (FUGUS)
- Federal University, Kashere (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- Federal University, Lafia (FULAFIA)
- Federal University, Lokoja (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Ndufu Alike, Ikwo (AE-FUNAI)
- Fountain University, Osogbo (FUO)
- Gombe State University (GSU)
- Igbinedion University, Okada (IUO)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (JABU)
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Koladaisi University, Ibadan (KU)
- Kwara State University, Ilorin (KWASU)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai (IBBU)
- Legacy University, Okija
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo (MCU)
- Mountain Top University (MTU)
- Nasarawa State University, Keffi (NSUK)
- Yusuf Maitama Sule University
- Nigerian Army University Biu (NAUB)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
- Olabisi Onabanjo University (OOU)
- Paul University, Awka Anambra
- University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Plateau State University, Bokkos (PLASU)
- Nigeria Police Academy, Wudil (NPA)
- Redeemer’s University, Nigeria (RUN)
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene
- Rivers State University (RSU)
- Salem University, Lokoja Kogi State
- Samuel Adegboyega University (SAU)
- Sokoto State University (SOSU)
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa (SLUK)
- Spiritan University, Nneochi (SUN)
- Tai Solarin University of Education, Ijebu Ode (TASUED)
- Taraba State University, Jalingo (TASU)
- Usmanu Dan Fodio University (UDUSOK)
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University Katsina (UMYU)
- University of Africa Toru Orua, Bayelsa State (UAT)
- Kings University, Ode Omu (UNIKINGS)
- Osun State University, Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- University of Uyo (UNIUYO)
- Yobe State University, Damaturu (YSU)
- Zamfara State University (ZASU)
The above list is a mixture of private, state and federal universities currently offering English Language, this means candidates, Parents or Guardians can make a choice from the above. Most often, it is easier to study the choice of your course when you select a school that is within your Catchment area.
For example, candidates who is from Delta state and selects English Language in UNIBEN stands a greater chance of gaining admission to study the course than a candidate who hails from Lagos state or Sokoto state. Many students make the mistake of just selecting randomly without applying the Catchment area principle though this does not apply to Private Universities.
In summary, if you must select a state or Federal university, choose your state or school that falls within your catchment area for you to stand a huge chance of studying English Language or any course of your choice.
Hope the above is well understood? if you are still not clear as regards the list of schools or universities that offers English Language and their admission requirements, you can get back to us via our comment section below and we shall respond accordingly.